Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Bubblemate

Alexandra and I met our freshman year of college.  Like the first week.  I had met Stephanie Finkbeiner who lived across the hall from me.  We connected really quickly and Stephanie was super outgoing and started talking to Alexandra.  We all went downstairs to do laundry... a few days in and laundry already had to be done (not by me of course because I went home every single weekend).  I had the worst roommate.  I'm sure someone in the history of the world has had a worse roommate... Megan Meade, for instance, has had a worse roommate.  However... Alison was pretty terrible.  This is a positive blog though so we're not going there.  One night, Alison was arguing with me (and at the time I was non-confrontational and someone else on the hall was sticking up for me).  Alexandra came out because of the yelling and asked me what was going on.  We went to the bathroom and I gave her a little summary of my year so far.  I could tell that she was intoxicated so when she offered the empty side of her room to me, I didn't take it too seriously.  I thought, "gah, that would be great" but I didn't get my hopes up.  Her assigned roommate had gone to Granville between being assigned and school starting so she had a room to herself but didn't care for it that much.  So the next day when I saw her, I looked at her and said hi but didn't try to get her to talk about her offer- but she did!  She told me she was serious and so I went to the housing department and asked them about it and weekend after fall break, I moved into 305.  This room would shape my life in a real, real way.



We listened to the same music... we played my iPod on an iHome every second we were awake.  Keith Urban, Michelle Branch and OneRepublic were played most frequently.  We would have nights where we would sit and make posters with our favorite lyrics.  We put them on the wall and during breaks, the dorm people would do inspections and we got an alert that over some percentage of our walls were covered with paper and it needed to be addressed.  I took most of mine down.  Alexandra did not.  What a rebel.


Junior year we spent apart which sucked.  Alexandra decided to live off-campus like most college students decide to do their junior year but I wanted to stay on campus.  We don't ask questions.  Anyway.  When something monumental happened (UNC WINNING THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, THANK YOU) we found each other on Franklin Street in the sheer madness.  We are sports soulmates afterall.


Alexandra moved to F11 and we texted/visited but our senior year- we made everything right with the world and I moved in to F11 the bubble.  Oh the bubble.  Too many things.  Sunrise on Friday, Sunday... heck, all mornings.  Going to McAlister's in Durham as opposed to the one on campus.  Chapel Hill Bible Church.  Whoever woke up first, plopping on the other's bed... "what happened?!"  Getting ready... iPod game.  Grey's, football, O.C., music channels... crying.laughing.crying.laughingwhilecrying.laughing.cryingwhilelaughing.  And love.  So much love.  I would never be able to represent our friendship in a blog post.


Alexandra.  Thank you so much for your friendship, love, support, encouragement, advice, honesty and trust.  Without a doubt in my mind, I can confidently say, I would not be the person I am today without you.  I love you more than words can say.



No comments:

Post a Comment